Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

MOORE, LITTLETON WILDE

MOORE, LITTLETON WILDE (1835–1911). Littleton Wilde Moore, lawyer, soldier, and judge, the son of James and Abigail (Woods) Moore, was born on March 25, 1835, in Marion County, Alabama. The family moved the next year to Mississippi, where in 1855 he graduated as valedictorian of his class from the University of Mississippi. After studying law and being admitted to the bar in 1857, he married Anna Dunn Wright of Cowal County and moved to Texas, where he established a law practice in Bastrop County. During the Civil War, Moore was captain of Company I of George M. Flournoy's Sixteenth Texas Infantry, Walker's Texas Division. In 1865 he resumed his law practice and moved to La Grange, Fayette County. He served as a member of the Constitutional Convention of 1875 and as district judge from 1876 to 1885. In 1885 Moore formed a law partnership in La Grange with J. T. Duncan that continued until 1897. In 1886 he was elected as a Democrat to the United States House of Representatives; he served in the Fiftieth, Fifty-first, and Fifty-second congresses. In March 1901 he was appointed by Governor Joseph D. Sayers to replace the deceased Judge Hans Teichmueller as judge of the Twenty-second Judicial District, a post he held until his death. He died on October 29, 1911, in La Grange and is buried in the city cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Biographical Directory of the American Congress. Thomas W. Cutrer, ed., "`Bully for Flournoy's Regiment...': The Civil War Letters of Virgil Sullivan Rabb," Military History of the Southwest 19, 20 (October 1989, March 1990). Frank Lotto, Fayette County: Her History and Her People (Schulenburg, Texas: Sticker Steam Press, 1902; rpt., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1981).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"MOORE, LITTLETON WILDE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmo33), accessed November 25, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.