MOFFIT, ALEXANDER (1902–1969). Alexander (Alex) Moffit, librarian, son of Cassius Clay and Harriet (Adams) Moffit, was born on March 24, 1902, in Primghar, Iowa. He attended Iowa State University, the State University of Iowa (B.A., 1926), and the University of Illinois (M.S., 1935). At Illinois he worked as an assistant in the library's exchange, documents, and reference divisions and as chemistry librarian. During this period he married Catherine Marie Leytze. In 1936 Moffit resigned from the Illinois library staff to accept appointment as associate librarian in the University of Texas at Austin library. In 1945 he was promoted to the position of head librarian, after the resignation of Donald Coney. During his tenure as university librarian, the collection increased from 770,000 to 1.8 million volumes. Moffit's memberships included the Texas, Southwestern, and American library associations; as the head of a major library he was a participating member of the Association of Research Libraries. Upon his retirement at the end of the 1966–67 academic year he was named consultant on library development in the University of Texas System. Chancellor Harry H. Ransom remarked upon the library's "impressive gains during...Moffit's administration" and praised Moffit for his "knowledge, devotion, and complete altruism." The death of Mrs. Moffit on July 18, 1968, and his own declining health influenced Moffit's decision to join his three sisters in Felton, California. He died there on May 21, 1969, and his ashes were sent to Austin for an Episcopal graveside service and interment in Austin Memorial Park. In addition to his sisters, his survivors included two daughters, Anne (Moffit) Murray and Constance Moffit.
Austin American, May 23, 1969. Who's Who in Library Service, 4th ed.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.C. F. Folmer, "MOFFIT, ALEXANDER," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmo79), accessed May 04, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.