NOLD, HENRY II
NOLD, HENRY II (1824–1886). Henry Nold II, early teacher and founder of Nold's Academy and Rockport Institute, son of Henry and Alevia (Bechtel) Nold, was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, on October 16, 1824. He received a degree from Centre College in Danville, Kentucky. His first teaching position was in Richmond, Kentucky, where he married Elizabeth (Matilda) Goddin, a fellow teacher, on June 17, 1847. In 1854 the Nolds and four children traveled by covered wagon to Texas, where he served as president of Aranama College in Goliad. In 1856 they moved to Hines Bluff at Ingleside, where he built a large frame house and opened a boarding school called Nold's Academy or Ingleside Male and Female Academy. He was appointed postmaster for a few years. The Civil War caused the Nolds to close the school and dismantle the building, probably in 1864 (it was still in operation in 1863). The building is said to have been destroyed during the war. After leaving Ingleside the family operated a sheep ranch on the Nueces River near Mathis for a short time before returning to Aranama College. A company of students was formed near the end of the war with Nold in command, but he was discharged due to poor health and subsequently went to Mexico. There he operated a school for a short time before moving to Kentucky, where his family had lived while he was in Mexico. After teaching for several years, Nold returned to Rockport, Texas, with his family and opened the Rockport Institute in 1874. The school lasted two years. He died on November 2, 1886, in Murray, Kentucky, where he is buried. Mrs. Nold lived for some time with the youngest daughter, Mary Jane, who married Thomas H. Mathis. Mrs. Nold died in San Antonio on October 5, 1906, and was buried in Rockport.
Keith Guthrie, History of San Patricio County (Austin: Nortex, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Keith Guthrie, "NOLD, HENRY II," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fno29), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.