OLIPHINT, ALFRED DAVENPORT
OLIPHINT, ALFRED DAVENPORT (1799–1880). Alfred Davenport Oliphint (Oliphant), pioneer and judge, was born on March 10, 1799, in Kentucky and married Jemima Allen in 1821. The couple lived in Mississippi and were the parents of several children. After his wife's death in 1835 Oliphint married Martha Ann Causey in Mississippi, on October 20, 1836, and they had four children. Oliphint probably came to Texas in 1839; he received a third-class headright certificate on December 18, 1839, for land provided by the act of January 4, 1839, "to late emigrants," and obtained his headright on the Neches River in Cherokee County on April 1, 1844. It is not known if Oliphint ever lived, even briefly, on his headright. The family probably was living in the Gaines-Oliphint House near Milam, Sabine County, in 1842.
Oliphint attended a mass meeting of over eighty men in Milam on March 31, 1845, to draft resolutions on annexation. He was a charter member of Jackson Masonic Lodge No. 35 at Milam from 1847 until it was terminated in 1857 and was treasurer from 1849 to 1857. In 1860 he became affiliated with the newly organized Sexton Lodge No. 251. He was elected justice of the peace, Milam precinct, in December 1845 and was chief justice of Sabine County from 1848 to 1852. Although over the age of sixty he was involved in activities of the Confederacy during the Civil War. He was a slaveowner, and it is said that slaves were auctioned from a cypress tree stump in front of his home. He died on September 26, 1880, in Sabine County and was buried in the Sneed-Scurlock Cemetery in Sabine County.
Robert Austin Gomer, Memories of Sabine County, Texas, comp. Helen Gomer Schluter (Center, Texas?, 1967). Houston Chronicle, February 16, 1964. San Augustine Red-Lander, June 13, 1845.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Helen Gomer Schluter, "OLIPHINT, ALFRED DAVENPORT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fol03), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.