Members Only Area
Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

PARK, WILLIAM H.

PARK, WILLIAM H. (1835–1885). William H. Park, physician, slaveholder, and Confederate military officer, was born on January 15, 1835, in Alabama. He was married to a Sarah F., from Georgia; they had no children. It is not known when he arrived in Texas, but in 1860 he and his wife resided in Cherokee County, where he was a practicing physician. He estimated his real property to be worth $800 and his personal property at $12,000, including the ownership of thirteen slaves.

Park’s service in the Civil War was brief. In late 1863 he helped organize a regiment of state troops to be mustered into service for a period of six months. He was elected major of the regiment that became designated the Second Texas Infantry Regiment, State Troops. From December 1863 to January 1864, Park and his regiment were stationed in Galveston for that city’s defense. In February 1864 he and his unit were mustered out of service.

Upon being mustered out of service, Park returned to his home in Cherokee County. However, by 1870 he and his wife had relocated to Tyler in Smith County, where he again practiced medicine and his wife kept house. He estimated his real property to be worth $1,500 and his personal property at $6,530. In 1880 Park and his wife still resided in Tyler in Smith County, where Park died on November 4, 1885. He was survived by his wife Sarah until her death on January 24, 1915. They were buried in Oakwood Cemetery in Tyler.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Joseph H. Crute, Jr., Units of the Confederate States Army (Midlothian, Virginia: Derwent, 1987). Stewart Sifakis, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Texas (New York: Facts on File, 1995).

Matthew K. Hamilton

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Matthew K. Hamilton, "PARK, WILLIAM H.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fpaag-2), accessed December 25, 2014. Uploaded on January 3, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.