RANDON, JOHN (?–?). John Randon, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a sitio of land in what is now Fort Bend County on August 19, 1824. When he hired two slaves from James E. Brown Austin in November 1825, Randon was planning to get his cabins built within a month. The census of March 1826 listed him as a farmer and stock raiser aged between twenty-five and forty. His household included his wife, Susan, two sons, and thirteen slaves. In January 1832 he offered for rent his plantation on the east side of the Brazos River twenty miles below San Felipe; the property included a log house, a kitchen, stables, and seventy fenced acres. Randon was dead before February 7, 1844, when David Randon, guardian for his heirs, put the John Randon property up for sale at Richmond.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). William Barret Travis, Diary, ed. Robert E. Davis (Waco: Texian Press, 1966). Telegraph and Texas Register, February 7, 1844. Texas Gazette, February 6, 1830, January 10, 1832.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."RANDON, JOHN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fra36), accessed September 03, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.