Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

REDWINE, HULLUM DUKE ERASMUS

REDWINE, HULLUM DUKE ERASMUS (1837–1881). Hullum Duke Erasmus Redwine, Confederate cavalry officer, railroad entrepreneur, and town leader, was born in Benton County, Mississippi on August 1, 1837, to Hullum Duke and Rebecca (McCord) Redwine. The family moved to Rusk County, Texas, in 1852, and Redwine's father served as the county sheriff and as a Texas legislator. Hullum Redwine married Victoria Antoinette Cameron of Rusk County on October 9, 1859. The couple had five daughters and one son. In 1860 Hullum was living in Henderson, the county seat of Rusk County, and working as a druggist.

When the Civil War broke out, Redwine put together a volunteer unit that became Company E of the Tenth Texas Cavalry, with himself serving as captain. On June 12, 1862, he was promoted to major. During the Atlanta campaign, he was seriously injured in the left foot.

During Reconstruction, he returned to Henderson, Texas, and helped to build the city. He was an important force behind the building of the Henderson and Overton Branch Railroad. This addition to the city helped to bring in revenue and made Henderson a key shipping position in East Texas. Redwine died on July 21, 1881, in Henderson and is buried in the Old City Cemetery there.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

10th Texas Cavalry (http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/RandysTexas/TenthTexasCavalry.htm), accessed March 30, 2011. H. D. Erasmus Redwine (http://www.ladytexian.com/TXRusk/bios/family/RedwineHDE.htm), accessed March 30, 2011. Rusk County Historical Commission, Rusk County History, Texas (Henderson, Texas: Rusk County Historical Commission, 1982).

Stephanie Piefer Niemeyer

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Stephanie Piefer Niemeyer, "REDWINE, HULLUM DUKE ERASMUS," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fre70), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on April 8, 2011. Modified on May 26, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.