ROARK, LEO A. ELIJAH
ROARK, LEO A. ELIJAH (1813–1892). Leo Roark, soldier, the son of Cynthia (Fisher) and Elijah Andrew Roark, was born in Missouri on January 9, 1813. The family trekked from Illinois in 1824 and settled at Stafford's Point (now Stafford) in Fort Bend County, Texas, where in January 1825 Roark received title to one-third league. He attended David Henson's school with his younger brother, Andrew Jackson Roark, and with Dilue Rose Harris. Roark was conversant with the Spanish language and occasionally served as a translator for his neighbors and Mexican officials. On December 24, 1829, he survived the Indian fight near San Antonio in which his father was killed. He served in the Texas army at the siege of Bexar, the Grass Fight, and the battle of Concepción.qqv Illness sent him home from San Antonio before Antonio López de Santa Anna's siege of the Alamo. Roark is said to have fought at the battle of San Jacinto, but his name appears on none of the surviving muster rolls. In 1837 he and John W. Moore were named administrators of his mother's estate. Roark married Mary Martha Pevehouse, a native of Lawrence County, Arkansas, and a daughter of Jacob Pevehouse, on May 14, 1838, and in June 1838 he received title to an additional two-thirds plus a labor in Fort Bend County. According to Dilue Harris he was "the father of a large family." Mrs. Roark died in Fort Bend County about 1852, and Roark died in Jack County on October 31, 1892.
Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Founders and Patriots of the Republic of Texas (Austin, 1963-). "Reminiscences of Mrs. Dilue Harris," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 4, 7 (October 1900, January 1901, January 1904). Telegraph and Texas Register, August 26, 1837, May 9, 1838. Gifford E. White, 1830 Citizens of Texas (Austin: Eakin, 1983).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Thomas W. Cutrer, "ROARK, LEO A. ELIJAH," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fro03), accessed February 01, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.