Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

ROBERTS, WILLIAM

ROBERTS, WILLIAM (?–ca. 1836). William Roberts, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was living on the lower Brazos River on May 1, 1824, when Josiah H. Bell assembled Austin's colonists to take an oath of allegiance to the Mexican government. On July 8, 1824, Roberts received title to a sitio of land now in Brazoria County. The census of March 1826 classified him as a farmer and stock raiser aged over fifty. He had a wife, Peggy, a grown son, and one servant.

The William Roberts who received land for service in the Texas Revolution may have been Roberts's son. One William Roberts who located in the Austin colony was a native of Virginia and had his character certificate signed at San Augustine on November 25, 1834. According to some sources, William Roberts died about 1836 in San Augustine. Another William Roberts immigrated into the Nacogdoches District in 1826. The William E. Roberts who went with a Galveston County company on a campaign against the Comanche Indians in 1839 may have been a son of the original colonist.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). J. W. Benedict, "Diary of a Campaign against the Comanches," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 32 (April 1929). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Founders and Patriots of the Republic of Texas (Austin, 1963-). Daughters of the Republic of Texas, Muster Rolls of the Texas Revolution (Austin, 1986). Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835–1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"ROBERTS, WILLIAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fro21), accessed July 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.