ROUNTREE, LEONIDAS C. [LEE]
ROUNTREE, LEONIDAS C. [LEE] (1827–1875). Leonidas (Lee) C. Rountree, Confederate cavalry officer and tavern owner, was born in 1827 to Chesley B. and Lucinda Catherine (Sessums) Rountree. His father died while the family lived in Lauderdale County, Tennessee, and his mother later married John Keenan and moved to Walker County, Texas.
Rountree served in the Mexican War and enlisted on June 9, 1846, and achieved the rank of sergeant. His stepfather died in 1850 and bequeathed Rountree and his mother the Keenan House, a tavern, in Huntsville. By 1860 he had $35,000 in wealth. On June 19, 1851, he married Anna Eliza Smither. The couple had eight children—five girls and three boys.
During the Civil War, Rountree raised a battalion of men, the Thirteenth Texas Volunteers, to fight for the Confederacy. In 1863 he combined his unit with Rueben R. Brown's battalion to create the Thirty-fifth Texas Cavalry and served as a major in the regiment. The Thirty-fifth was part of the Trans-Mississippi Department and served in Texas until 1864 when they were transferred to Louisiana. He fought in the Red River campaign.
Following the Civil War, Rountree moved his family to Galveston sometime before 1870. He died in St. Louis, Missouri, of heart trouble on December 11, 1875, probably while visiting or on business. Although he is buried in Huntsville, his wife moved to Sherman, Texas, following his death and is interred there. Rountree's body was not moved, but there is a memorial to him next to his family's graves at West Hill Cemetery in Sherman.
William Rountree II (c1765–1836), Bob's Genealogy Filing Cabinet (http://www.genfiles.com/rountree/WilliamRountreeII.htm), accessed March 30, 2011.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Stephanie P. Niemeyer, "ROUNTREE, LEONIDAS C. [LEE]," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/froau), accessed October 25, 2014. Uploaded on April 11, 2011. Modified on June 3, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.