RUGELEY, JOHN (1792–1878). John Rugeley, planter, soldier, and legislator, son of Henry and Elizabeth (Cook) Rugeley, was born on January 12, 1792, at Retreat Plantation, Fairfield County, Camden District, South Carolina. He was first married to Parthenia Irvin on June 12, 1814, and they had ten children. In the spring of 1824 he moved to Alabama, where he was a member of the state legislature. His wife died on May 1, 1831, and on February 12, 1833, he married Eliza Clopton Colgin, with whom he had eleven children. He moved to Texas in 1840 and became a planter on Caney Creek in Matagorda County. He was joined by his family in 1842. In the spring of 1842 he was a captain in the Texas army in the expedition against Rafael Vásquez. Rugeley was elected to the Seventh Congress to fill the unexpired term of Clark L. Owen and became senator from Jackson, Victoria, and Matagorda counties in the Eighth Congress, where he served on the Navy Committee. He represented Fort Bend, Wharton, and Matagorda counties at the Secession Convention in January 1861. Rugeley was among the wealthiest men in Matagorda County but lost much of his fortune during the Civil War. His fortunes only began gradually to recover in the 1870s. He died on June 17 (or 13), 1878, at Bay Prairie, Matagorda County, and was buried in the Rugeley family cemetery on Caney Creek.
Arda Talbot Allen, Twenty-one Sons for Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1959). Texas House of Representatives, Biographical Directory of the Texan Conventions and Congresses, 1832–1845 (Austin: Book Exchange, 1941). Amelia W. Williams and Eugene C. Barker, eds., The Writings of Sam Houston, 1813–1863 (8 vols., Austin: University of Texas Press, 1938–43; rpt., Austin and New York: Pemberton Press, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Jeanette H. Flachmeier and Rowland Rugeley, "RUGELEY, JOHN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fru10), accessed December 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.