SINGLETON, PHILLIP (?–?). On August 19, 1824, Phillip Singleton, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a league of land at the mouth of Yegua Creek on the west bank of the Brazos River in what is now southeastern Burleson and northeastern Washington counties. The census of March 1826 classified him as a farmer and stock raiser aged between forty and fifty. His household included his wife, Susanna (Walker), two sons, and three daughters. In 1828–29 Singleton settled on the north side of Buffalo Bayou and built a log house that was afterwards bought by Lorenzo de Zavala and became Zavala's first home in Texas.
Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence (Salado, Texas: Anson Jones, 1944; rpt. 1959).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."SINGLETON, PHILLIP," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsi30), accessed November 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.