Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

STOWERS, GEORGE ARTHUR

STOWERS, GEORGE ARTHUR (1867–1917). George Arthur Stowers, businessman, was born on February 3, 1867, in Richmond County, Georgia, the son of Thomas J. Stowers. He attended public school in Atlanta, where the family had moved, worked as a messenger for Western Union Telegraph Company, was a newspaper boy for the Atlanta Constitution, and at thirteen was working in a mercantile store. Out of his savings from a two-dollar-a-week job in a candy company he was able at seventeen to start his own furniture store in Birmingham, Alabama, with $500 capital. By the time he was twenty-three he was operating ten stores in Alabama, Tennessee, and Texas; San Antonio, Dallas, Waco, and Fort Worth were the Texas outlets. Stowers moved his business from Birmingham to Dallas in 1889, but soon thereafter he located in San Antonio, where his business succeeded to the extent that it eventually changed the city's skyline. His first furniture stores were on West Commerce Street; by 1910 he had one of the largest retail businesses in San Antonio and had built a ten-story building (a "skyscraper" at that time) at the corner of Main and Houston streets. He also opened furniture stores in Houston and Laredo. Stowers's ranch holdings outside San Antonio were extensive. He was married to Mary Agnes Perry of Philadelphia on June 5, 1896, and they had three children. Stowers died in San Antonio on February 16, 1917, and was buried in Mission Burial Park.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Men of Affairs of San Antonio (San Antonio Newspaper Artists' Association, 1912). San Antonio Express, August 15, 1909, February 17, 1917. Vertical Files, San Antonio Public Library.

S. W. Pease

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

S. W. Pease, "STOWERS, GEORGE ARTHUR," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fst69), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.