STRANGE, JAMES (ca. 1786–?). James Strange, artist and member of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, came to Texas in 1822 with Edward DeCrow and received title on August 24, 1824, to a labor of land in what later became Harris County between the properties of Nathaniel Lynch and William Scott.qqv The land was later sold to D. L. Kokern, who sold it to William Bloodgood. In April 1825 Strange was constable for the San Jacinto district. The census of 1826 classified him as a farmer and stock raiser, a single man aged between twenty-five and forty. Strange is credited with sculpting busts preliminary to a painting of Antonio López de Santa Anna and Juan N. Almonteqqv in 1836. On July 28, 1838, a James Strange was awarded 320 acres by the secretary of war for military service from March 20 to April 4, 1836. Strange served on a Harrisburg grand jury in March 1838. A patent for 320 acres was awarded William Little, Strange's assignee, on May 17, 1848. James Strange, a native of South Carolina who was living at the age of sixty-four in Harris County in 1850, is probably the same man.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Louis Wiltz Kemp Papers, Texas State Archives, Austin. Thomas L. Miller, Bounty and Donation Land Grants of Texas, 1835–1888 (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). Andrew Forest Muir, ed., "Diary of a Young Man in Houston, 1838," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 53 (January 1950). Telegraph and Texas Register, August 21, 1836. Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."STRANGE, JAMES," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fst71), accessed January 26, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.