STRUGGS, EDWARD CECIL
STRUGGS, EDWARD CECIL (1900–1979). Edward Cecil “Prof” Struggs, an educator who led the development of the African-American schools in Lubbock, Texas, for thirty-five years, was born on October 3, 1900, in Wallis, Texas, in Austin County. He was the son of E. W. and Mattie (Campbell) Struggs. After entering elementary school in Wallis, he continued at Marlin, Texas. Struggs then completed high school classes and a bachelor of arts degree at Paul Quinn College in Waco. Later he added a bachelor of science degree from Prairie View State Normal and Industrial College (now Prairie View A&M University) and a master of arts diploma at the University of Michigan. Summer graduate work followed at the University of Michigan, University of Southern California, and Texas Tech University.
Struggs begin his career in 1925 as a teacher and principal at Minerva, Texas, where he taught for five years. During that time he met his wife Lillian, a teacher at Cameron, Texas, and they married on December 26, 1926. They had a daughter named Judith.
In 1930 the Struggs family moved to Lubbock, where he served as both a teacher and principal of Dunbar, the school with secondary level classes for African-American students. He expanded Dunbar to a full high school level by 1932 and won support for a new building by 1937. Accreditation by the Southern Association of Secondary Schools followed. Struggs continued as principal until 1965. That same year the Lubbock Independent School District opened E. C. Struggs Junior High School named in his honor. His many former students celebrated the commemoration of Struggs’s legacy.
Struggs served as president of the West Texas District Teachers Association and as a life member of the National Education Association. His civic service included the board of directors for Carver Heights Nursery, Community Chest, the Boy Scouts, and the local draft board during World War II. He also participated in the Men’s Civic and Social Club, the Eastside Cemetery Committee, Omega Psi Phi fraternity, and a Masonic lodge. He and his wife were members of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church, where he became secretary-treasurer of the board of trustees; Struggs acted as superintendent of the Sunday school for thirty-three years.
Edward Cecil “Prof” Struggs died in Lubbock on August 18, 1979. He was buried in City of Lubbock Cemetery.
Lubbock Digest, August 23 Thru August 29, 1979. Katie Parks, comp., Remember When? A History of African Americans in Lubbock, Texas (Lubbock: Friends of the Library/Southwest Collection, 1999).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alwyn Barr, "STRUGGS, EDWARD CECIL ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fstao), accessed August 22, 2014. Uploaded on October 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.