Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

STONE, CHARLES TURNER, SR.

STONE, CHARLES TURNER, SR. (1890–1981). Charles Turner Stone, Sr., professor of medicine at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, was born in Caldwell, Texas, on July 24, 1890, the son of Wooten Meriwether and Emily (Parkman) Stone. He received a bachelor's degree from Southwestern University (1911) and a medical degree from UTMB (1915). After an internship at John Sealy Hospital, Stone became a member of the UTMB faculty. He served as a professor for more than fifty years and as chairman of the Department of Internal Medicine from 1926 to 1958. Students and faculty considered him an outstanding teacher and colleague. During the 1930s Stone established one of the earliest residency training programs in internal medicine in Texas. In 1960 he established the Gold-Headed Cane Award, given annually to UTMB's outstanding medical graduate. UTMB granted Stone a Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1966. Stone was president of the Galveston County Medical Society in 1921 and again in 1932. He was the first UTMB faculty member to be selected as a member of the Council on Medical Education and Hospitals of the American Medical Association, a post he held from 1952 until 1964. He served as a fellow, regent, and vice president of the American College of Physicians. In 1916 Stone married Bertha Neubauer, and they had one son. Stone was an avid duck hunter, member and president of the Rotary Club of Galveston, and member of Trinity Episcopal Church. He died in Galveston on March 31, 1981.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Galveston Daily News, April 2, 1981. Texas Medicine, July 1981. The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston: A Seventy-five Year History (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967).

Chester R. Burns

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Chester R. Burns, "STONE, CHARLES TURNER, SR.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fstca), accessed August 29, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.