Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

TACKETT, WILLIAM SEVIER

TACKETT, WILLIAM SEVIER (1833–1862). William Sevier Tackett, born in 1833 in Alabama, was the second son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Tackett. By 1848 the Tackett family lived in Neshoba County, Mississippi, on a farm with real estate value of $100. The family had six children ranging in age from two to eighteen. In 1860 William Tackett lived in Grayson County, Texas, with his wife Mary and one-year-old son Edward. He worked as a merchant in Sherman, Texas, and had a personal estate value of $800.

With the outbreak of Civil War Sevier joined the Thirty-fourth Texas Cavalry Regiment commanded by Col. Almerine M. Alexander. The Thirty fourth Cavalry organized on April 17, 1862, at Fort Washita in Indian Territory. The Unit comprised men from the North Texas counties of Tarrant, Grayson, Lamar, Red River, Fannin, Palo Pinto, Erath, and Collin. The regiment was also known as the Second Partisan Rangers Regiment and Alexander's Cavalry. Tackett received a commission of major upon enlistment. On September 30, 1862, the regiment took part in the First Battle of Newtonia in Missouri. Soon after this battle Tackett contracted typhoid fever and died in mid-October 1862.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas, National Archives and Records Service, Washington. Stewart Sifakis, Compendium of the Confederate Armies: Texas (New York: Facts on File, 1995). Vertical file, Historical Research Center, Texas Heritage Museum, Hill College, Hillsboro, Texas (Thirty-fourth Texas Cavalry). Robert S. Weddle, Plow-Horse Cavalry: The Caney Creek Boys of the Thirty-fourth Texas (Austin: Madrona, 1974).

James A. Hathcock

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

James A. Hathcock, "TACKETT, WILLIAM SEVIER ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fta71), accessed August 01, 2014. Uploaded on April 11, 2011. Modified on June 1, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.