TOWNSEND, THOMAS RODERIC
TOWNSEND, THOMAS RODERIC (1797–1838). Thomas Roderick Townsend, participant in the Texas Revolution and member of the Texas Rangersqv, was born on February 7, 1797, in Marlboro District, South Carolina, one of eight sons of Thomas and Elizabeth (Stapleton) Townsend. By 1818 the family was living on a plantation in McIntosh County, on the east coast of Georgia. Townsend was married to Nancy Pamelia Ann Dean, and they had seven children. Thomas and his brother Spencer came to Texas in 1826 to investigate land offered to settlers by the Mexican government. They returned to Florida, sold their holdings, and, with another brother and their families, moved to Texas in the early 1830s. By 1836 seven of the Townsend brothers were in Texas. Thomas was granted a league of land in David G. Burnet's colony and settled near what is now Crockett, on the Old Nacogdoches Road. His name, with Mustang Prairie as his stated place of residence, appears on the list of petitioners asking the Texas Congress to establish Houston County in 1837. The Townsend brothers enlisted during the Texas Revolution, and Thomas furnished beef and corn from his farm for the army. He also served in the Texas Ranger company of Capt. Elisha Clapp. Townsend was in La Grange, Fayette County, on jury duty when he died on August 31, 1838. His grave in La Grange City Cemetery was marked with a tall limestone marker.
Clifford B. Casey and Lewis H. Saxton, The Life of Everett Ewing Townsend (West Texas Historical and Scientific Society Publication 17, 1958). Comptroller's Records, Texas State Archives, Austin. Louis Wiltz Kemp Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Worth Stickley Ray, Austin Colony Pioneers (Austin: Jenkins, 1949; 2d ed., Austin: Pemberton, 1970).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Tula Townsend Wyatt, "TOWNSEND, THOMAS RODERIC," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fto34), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.