VAN ZANDT, RICHARD LIPSCOMB
VAN ZANDT, RICHARD LIPSCOMB (1871–1940). Richard Lipscomb Van Zandt, banker, was born on December 1, 1871, in Fort Worth, Texas, the son of Martha Virginia (Peete) and Khleber Miller Van Zandt. After graduating from Fort Worth High School, he attended Texas A&M, where he earned a B.S. degree in civil engineering in 1890. Van Zandt also did postgraduate work in civil engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, New York. After graduation he worked at Fort Worth National Bank until 1900, when he accepted a position in the Philippines working for the United States Treasury Department. In 1904 he resigned from this post and became receiver of Farmer's National Bank in Henrietta, Texas. From 1905 to 1914 he served as a national bank examiner in Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Arkansas. He then helped organize the Eleventh District of the Federal Reserve system in Texas and in April 1915 became the governor of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, a position he resigned in 1922. The following year Van Zandt became the president of Livestock National Bank in Omaha, Nebraska; he held this position until 1927, when he became the receiver of First National Bank in San Augustine, Florida. In 1929 he returned to Texas and worked as receiver of Texas National Bank in Fort Worth from 1930 until his retirement in 1936. Van Zandt was married on October 26, 1898, to Annabel Cooper, who died on November 29, 1918. He married Hazel Rando on April 8, 1922. He had a daughter. He was a member of the Masonic lodge, the First Christian Church, and several civic organizations. He died in Fort Worth after a two-month illness on April 30, 1940.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram, May 1, 1940. Who Was Who in America, 1942.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Matthew Hayes Nall, "VAN ZANDT, RICHARD LIPSCOMB," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fva14), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.