VELÁZQUEZ, EULALIO (1868–1941). Eulalio Velázquez, publisher, teacher, and accountant, son of Anastacio and Zefferina (Luna) Velázquez, was born in San Pedro de Roma (now Miguel Alemán), Tamaulipas, Mexico, on February 12, 1868. He graduated from the Baylor University School of Business about 1890 and also studied agriculture. He spoke English and Spanish fluently. About 1895 he married Balbina Gongora of Roma, Texas. They lived in Laredo before moving to Alice in 1903. There he established and published for about ten years the area's first newspaper printed completely in Spanish, El Cosmopolita. His articles on business and economics, agriculture, health, and the arts strongly influenced the Mexican-American citizens of Alice and the community. Velázquez published the paper on the ground floor of a two-story building that he had constructed to his own specifications in 1903. He taught a private, coeducational, elementary day school in Spanish on the second floor, and offered night courses in agriculture and business for adults. He also served several Alice businesses as an accountant. In 1914 he moved his family to Kingsville but moved on to Eagle Pass within a few months. There he published another weekly newspaper until 1920. He then moved to Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico, where he opened a publishing house in partnership with his older sons. After a few years the Velázquez family sold the business and moved to Querétaro, where they established another publishing house. They remained only a few months before moving to Orizaba, where they opened a publishing house. Eulalio Velázquez died on September 18, 1941, at his home in Orizaba, Vera Cruz, Mexico.
Agnes G. Grimm, Llanos Mesteñas: Mustang Plains (Waco: Texian Press, 1968). Guadalupe Salazar, Eulalio Velázquez (MS, Jim Wells County Historical Commission, Alice, Texas, 1965).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Agnes G. Grimm, "VELAZQUEZ, EULALIO," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fve04), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.