Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

VINCE, ROBERT

VINCE, ROBERT (?–ca. 1837). Robert Vince, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, was one of four brothers granted land on Buffalo Bayou between Harrisburg and the San Jacinto battleground. The family was originally from Georgia. Vince was partner with his brother Richard Vince when they came to Texas in 1822 with their brothers Allen and William Vince. On August 21, 1824, Robert and Richard received title to a sitio on the north side of Buffalo Bayou in what is now Harris County. The census of 1826 listed Robert Vince as a farmer and stock raiser, a single man aged between sixteen and twenty-five. In December 1830 he petitioned for an additional league of land, but the ayuntamiento at San Felipe granted him only a half league in Harris County in 1832. He was dead by February 28, 1837, when Richard Vince was appointed administrator of the Robert Vince estate by the first session of the Harris County probate court.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Eugene C. Barker, ed., "Minutes of the Ayuntamiento of San Felipe de Austin, 1828–1832," 12 parts, Southwestern Historical Quarterly 21–24 (January 1918-October 1920). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Louis Wiltz Kemp Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin. Adele B. Looscan, "Harris County, 1822–1845," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 18–19 (October 1914-July 1915). "Reminiscences of Mrs. Dilue Harris," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 4, 7 (October 1900, January 1901, January 1904). William Barret Travis, Diary, ed. Robert E. Davis (Waco: Texian, 1966).

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"VINCE, ROBERT," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fvi10), accessed September 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.