Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

WALLING, THOMAS JEFFERSON

WALLING, THOMAS JEFFERSON (1811–1902?). Thomas J. Walling, early settler, son of Anna (Chisum) and John Walling, Sr., was born in White County, Tennessee, on February 11, 1811. The family moved to Mississippi in 1818 and to Fayette County, Tennessee, about 1825. Walling married Nancy Price, daughter of Edward Price, in Tennessee, and in 1835 they went to Mississippi. In January 1836 he joined his brothers, John and Jesse Walling, in Nacogdoches, Texas, where he took an oath of allegiance to the Texas government and took part in the Texas Revolution with Captain Peck's company. He received a headright for his service to the Republic of Texas. In 1838 he rallied against the Córdova Rebellion. He lived ten miles east of Nacogdoches until 1840, when he moved near Henderson in Rusk County and lived there from 1841 to 1859. His first wife died on May 30, 1853, leaving nine children. He married Eleanor S. Hardy, daughter of Thomas and Ruth Hardy, on September 4, 1854, and they moved to Hill County in 1859. He later moved to Prairie Valley and also resided in Bosque County at one time. The 1860 census listed him as a farmer in Hillsboro with $3,500 personal and $1,526 real property; the majority of his personal property was three slaves. In 1875 he was living at Prairie Valley, and he filed for a Texas veteran's pension in February of that year. He is believed to have died on January 22, 1902, and was buried in Merkel, Texas.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Sam Houston Dixon and Louis Wiltz Kemp, The Heroes of San Jacinto (Houston: Anson Jones, 1932). Carolyn Reeves Ericson, Nacogdoches, Gateway to Texas: A Biographical Directory (2 vols., Fort Worth: Arrow-Curtis Printing, 1974, 1987).

Linda Sybert Hudson

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Linda Sybert Hudson, "WALLING, THOMAS JEFFERSON," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwa42), accessed July 31, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.