WALTHERSDORFF, ALBERT (1839–?). Albert Walthersdorff (or Waltersdorf), Confederate officer, was born in Saxony, Germany, in 1839. It is unclear when he moved to the United States or to Texas, but on December 8, 1861, Walthersdorff married Louise Runge in Gillespie County, Texas. The following year, he paid taxes in the same county for $150 of miscellaneous property.
Although at the outset of the Civil War Walthersdorff served as a sergeant in the Eighth Texas Cavalry, he spent the majority of the war as a major in the Fifth Texas Infantry, State Troops. By early 1864 John S. "Rip" Ford reported Major Walthersdorff to be assigned as "instructor of tactics" on the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Ford described him as a large man of immense physical strength, who made many friends among the soldiers and citizens while on that duty. Ford also reported that Walthersdorff was engaged throughout early 1864 commanding a battalion in Blanco County against "renegades and Indians." Ford's assessment of Walthersdorff's conviviality is supported by a brief report of his assistance to Anna Bastrop in giving a concert at Brownsville in February 1865. At the end of March 1865 he was commanding Fort Brown.
Following the war, Walthersdorff moved to Louisiana for a while before returning to Texas. In 1880 he worked as a commission merchant in San Antonio, where he lived with his wife, Alphonsine, and three children: Edna (b. 1871, Louisiana), Randall (b. 1874, Texas), and Norah (b. 1879, Texas). After 1880 Walthersdorff's whereabouts, including his death, are unknown.
Compiled Service Records of Confederate Soldiers Who Served in Organizations from the State of Texas, National Archives and Records Service, Washington. John S. Ford, Rip Ford's Texas, ed. Stephen B. Oates (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1963).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.R. Nicholas Nelson, "WALTHERSDORFF, ALBERT ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwacd), accessed January 28, 2015. Uploaded on April 29, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.