Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

WEINERT, FERDINAND C.

WEINERT, FERDINAND C. (1853–1939). Ferdinand C. Weinert, merchant, justice, and legislator, son of August and Gertrude (Breustedt) Weinert, was born in New Braunfels, Texas, on July 14, 1853. He was reared on a farm in Guadalupe County and educated in New Braunfels Academy. He traveled in the Northwest and in Canada and worked in mercantile businesses in New Braunfels, Austin, and San Antonio. After election as justice of the peace in 1875, he was in some public office from that time until his death. He served as county commissioner and as county judge of Guadalupe County and was a member of the Twenty-second, Thirty-first, Thirty-second, and Thirty-third legislatures of Texas. Weinert coauthored the indeterminate sentence and parole law and was the author of a resolution proposed during Thomas M. Campbell's gubernatorial administration (1907–11) providing for more humane treatment of state convicts. He was coauthor with Capt. A. Schlick of the bill to establish the Pasteur Institute of Texas. In June 1913 Weinert became secretary of state under Oscar B. Colquitt, a position he held until November 1914. With his wife, the former Clara Bading, and their seven children, he maintained homes at Seguin and Austin. He died in Austin on February 19, 1939, and was buried in the family cemetery at Seguin.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Frank Carter Adams, ed., Texas Democracy: A Centennial History of Politics and Personalities of the Democratic Party, 1836–1936 (4 vols., Austin: Democratic Historical Association, 1937). Frank W. Johnson, A History of Texas and Texans (5 vols., ed. E. C. Barker and E. W. Winkler [Chicago and New York: American Historical Society, 1914; rpt. 1916]).

Claudia Hazlewood

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Claudia Hazlewood, "WEINERT, FERDINAND C.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwe13), accessed April 16, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.