Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

WELLBORN, OLIN

WELLBORN, OLIN (1843–1921). Olin Wellborn, United States Representative for Texas, the son of Chapleigh B. and Mary Ann (Foster) Wellborn, was born in Cumming, Forsyth County, Georgia, on June 13, 1843. He attended Emory College in Oxford, Georgia, and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, but withdrew in his junior year (1861) to enlist in "Tom Cobb's Legion of Georgia" during the Civil War. During his time of service he was promoted to captain of Company B, Fourth Georgia Cavalry. In 1865 Wellborn was wounded in the hip near Knoxville and had to retire from service. For two years he was able to walk only with the aid of crutches. After he had recovered, he studied law with D. F. Hammond, was admitted to the bar, and began practice at Atlanta, Georgia. Wellborn moved to Dallas in 1871. He represented Texas as a Democrat in four sessions of Congress, March 4, 1879, to March 3, 1887. While in the House of Representatives he served as chairman of the Committee on Indian Affairs. When he was not renominated in 1887, he moved to San Diego, California. Wellborn practiced law in San Diego for six years before he moved to Los Angeles, where, in 1895, President Grover Cleveland appointed him United States judge of the Southern District of California. Wellborn retired on January 20, 1915. He died in Los Angeles on December 6, 1921, and was buried in Rosedale Cemetery.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Biographical Encyclopedia of Texas (New York: Southern, 1880). A History of Greater Dallas and Vicinity, Vol. 1, by Philip Lindsley; Vol. 2, Selected Biography and Memoirs, ed. L. B. Hill (Chicago: Lewis, 1909). United States Congress, Biographical Directory of the United States Congress, 1774–1989 (Washington: GPO, 1989). Who Was Who in America, Vol. 1.

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

"WELLBORN, OLIN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwe20), accessed July 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.