WEAVER, WILLIAM M.
WEAVER, WILLIAM M. (1827–1908). William M. Weaver, Confederate officer, was born in White County, Tennessee, on December 15, 1827. He was the son of William Weaver and Frances (Hampton) Weaver and was raised in Tennessee, where he worked as a farmer and was active in the Christian church as well as the Free Masons. In 1849 Weaver married Ethelinda Butler in Tennessee. They had fourteen children. Weaver brought his family to Collin County, Texas, and purchased 250 acres of land in 1856. He was an original member of Masonic Lodge No. 235 in the county.
On July 10, 1862, Weaver enlisted as a captain in Company C of the Fifth Partisan Rangers. The unit was mustered in February 1863 from the consolidation of the Ninth and Tenth Texas cavalry battalions, and Weaver was promoted to lieutenant colonel on February 7, 1863. He served as a scout with this unit in the Indian Territory and was in Houston when the Fifth Partisan Rangers surrendered in May 1865.
Following the war, Weaver returned to farming in Plano, Texas, and by 1867 his cattle brand was well known in the county. By 1889 his land comprised 1,200 acres. Weaver died on January 24, 1908, and was buried at Plano Mutual Cemetery in Collin County.
Biographical Souvenir of the State of Texas (Chicago: Battey, 1889; rpt., Easley, South Carolina: Southern Historical Press, 1978). 5th Texas Cavalry, Partisan Rangers Company C (http://5thtexascavalrypartisanrangers.blogspot.com/2008/05/regimental-company-c-rosters-history.html), accessed March 10, 2011.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Aragorn Storm Miller, "WEAVER, WILLIAM M. ," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwe81), accessed June 16, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.