Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

WHITE, REUBEN

WHITE, REUBEN (1795–ca. 1848). Reuben White, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred, was the son of William and Amy White and was born in 1795 in what is now Vermilion Parish, Louisiana. In the War of 1812 he served in Capt. Shadrack Porter's Company, Baker's Regiment, Louisiana Militia. He married Christina Faulk on June 15, 1818. They had at least eight children. The family was Catholic. He moved to Texas in 1824 with his widowed mother and received his grant of one league on the east bank of the San Jacinto River. He was listed with his family in the Atascosito Census in 1826 as a farmer and stock raiser. Reuben and his brother Henry White were on the grand jury of Harris County in 1837. In 1838 he appeared before the Board of Land Commissioners of Harris County to petition for one labor of land due him as a colonist. He appeared on the Ad Valorem Tax Rolls of the Republic of Texas in 1837 and in subsequent years. His taxable property (after considerable exemptions) was 2,214 acres of land, two pleasure horses, 150 cattle, and one clock. He was a successful farmer-rancher of the period. Reuben White died before October 1848, as proven by a probate court record of his estate in Harris County in 1848. After White died, his widow married Hervey Whiting. In 1854 she married Isaac Curtis, and in the 1860 census she and her two youngest sons were living with a son-in-law, Thomas W. McComb, at Lynchburg.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Gifford E. White, Amy White of the Old 300 (Austin: Nortex, 1986). Gifford E. White, James Taylor White of Virginia (Austin, 1982).

Gifford E. White

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

Gifford E. White, "WHITE, REUBEN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwh28), accessed October 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.