WHITE, WILLIAM C.
WHITE, WILLIAM C. (?–?). William C. White, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, received title to a league of land on the west bank of the Brazos River in what is now northeast Austin County on August 19, 1824. In 1826 he was a single man, aged between sixteen and twenty-five. He may be the same William White who was a proprietor of Robert Leftwich's colony in September 1827.
William White, the original colonist, was not the William White who was a member of James W. Fannin's command but was sick and absent on furlough at the time of the battle of Coleto. White, the soldier, may have been William White of Bangor, Maine, who wrote Henry Smithqv in January 1836 of his desire to volunteer for the Texas army.
Eugene C. Barker, ed., The Austin Papers (3 vols., Washington: GPO, 1924–28). William Campbell Binkley, ed., Official Correspondence of the Texan Revolution, 1835–1836 (2 vols., New York: Appleton-Century, 1936). Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article."WHITE, WILLIAM C.," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwh32), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.