WHITLOCK, WILLIAM (1784–1835). William Whitlock, one of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred colonists, son of Robert and Aggy (Stringer) Whitlock, was born in 1784, probably in Caswell County, North Carolina. Robert Whitlock and his family were recorded in the 1790 and 1800 censuses of Ninety-Six District, South Carolina, and his will was probated there in 1804. On February 16, 1813, William Whitlock, then living in Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, married Mary White, the daughter of William and Amy (Comstock) White, in St. Martinville, Louisiana. The 1820 census for St. Martin Parish included William Whitlock and his family. In 1815 Whitlock served in Capt. Shadrack Porter's Infantry Company, Fifteenth Regiment (Baker's), Louisiana Militia, in the War of 1812. William and Mary Whitlock and their four children, with Mary's widowed mother, Amy White, and others, moved to Texas in 1824. On August 16 of that year Whitlock was granted one league of land on the east bank of the San Jacinto River below the crossing of the Atascosito Road. This tract, however, lay beyond the Austin colony limits, and on May 11, 1831, pursuant to the Government of Mexico Resolution of August 27, 1828, Whitlock was granted a league of land on the west bank of the Trinity River. In the 1826 Atascosito census he was listed as farmer and stock raiser. Three children were born to William and Mary in Texas. In March 1835 William Whitlock died in Liberty County. The 1840 Liberty County tax rolls included the William Whitlock estate of 3,321 acres and two town lots, C. Bryan, administrator. The 1846 tax rolls listed Mary Whitlock with 4,428 acres.
Lester G. Bugbee, "The Old Three Hundred: A List of Settlers in Austin's First Colony," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Gifford E. White, Amy White of the Old 300 (Austin: Nortex, 1986).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Mary S. Maxfield, "WHITLOCK, WILLIAM," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwh41), accessed January 31, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.