Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

WILLIAMS, LEMUEL HARDIN

WILLIAMS, LEMUEL HARDIN (1820–1882). Lemuel Hardin Williams, merchant, son of Pleasant Hart Williams, was born in Albany, Clifton County, Kentucky, on January 23, 1820. He attended local schools and later, for a better education, was sent to relatives in Alabama. He lived for a time in Cumberland County, Kentucky, and had a plantation near Burkesville. In Kentucky he married Emily Irwin. They had seven children. From there the family moved to Lamar County, Texas, in company with several families of relatives in the fall of 1857. In Paris Williams engaged in merchandising and represented the county in the Secession Convention. In spite of the fact that he was a slaveholder he was one of the three members from Lamar County and seven in that convention who voted against secession. Nevertheless, when he returned from Austin, he organized and financed a company of 125 men, who saw service in Indian Territory. After the war Williams was one of the organizers of the first bank in Lamar County, chartered by the Texas legislature as Paris Exchange Bank, in 1873. He also formed a partnership in a dry goods business with James D. Wortham, which continued until Williams's death on May 1, 1882.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

Frank W. Johnson, A History of Texas and Texans (5 vols., ed. E. C. Barker and E. W. Winkler [Chicago and New York: American Historical Society, 1914; rpt. 1916]). A. W. Neville, The History of Lamar County, Texas (Paris, Texas: North Texas, 1937; rpt. 1986). E. W. Winkler, ed., Journal of the Secession Convention of Texas (Austin, 1912). Ralph A. Wooster, "An Analysis of the Membership of the Texas Secession Convention," Southwestern Historical Quarterly 62 (January 1959).

A. W. Neville

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

A. W. Neville, "WILLIAMS, LEMUEL HARDIN," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fwi29), accessed October 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.