FORT DAVIS NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
FORT DAVIS NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE. Fort Davis National Historic Site, located on the northern edge of Fort Davis, Jeff Davis County, was authorized by Congress in 1961 and established as part of the national park system on July 4, 1963. The 460-acre site, near U.S. Highway 290 on the north and U.S. 90 on the south, includes more than twenty original stone and adobe structures of early Fort Davisqv, now restored to their 1880 appearance. A visitors' center and museum, lieutenant's quarters, and post hospital are open daily, and audio programs, a slide show, and self-guided tours of the grounds are among services provided year-round. Summer seasons are highlighted by costumed employees and volunteers who explain the refurnished quarters and present cavalry and infantry demonstrations. A picnic grove and extensive nature-trail system are located on the site. Camping, motel, restaurant, and shopping facilities are available within a short distance of the fort.
Robert M. Utley, Fort Davis National Historic Site (Washington: National Park Service, 1965). Robert M. Utley, Special Report on Fort Davis (Santa Fe: National Park Service, Region 3, 1960). Vertical Files, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Douglas C. McChristian, "FORT DAVIS NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ggf01), accessed August 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.