FULTON MANSION STATE HISTORIC SITE
FULTON MANSION STATE HISTORIC SITE. Fulton Mansion State Historic Site is on Fulton Beach Road three miles north of Rockport. The three-story, Second Empire house was built by George W. Fulton, Sr., rancher and businessman; he lived there from 1877 to 1893. The unusual house features innovative heating, ventilating, and food-preservation systems. It remained in private hands until 1976, when the state purchased the 2.3-acre site. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It was restored in 1983 and opened as a museum. Operational control of the site was officially transferred from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to the Texas Historical Commission by the Eightieth Texas Legislature on January 1, 2008.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FULTON MANSION STATE HISTORIC SITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ggf02), accessed March 30, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on February 5, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.