FANTHORP INN STATE HISTORIC SITE
FANTHORP INN STATE HISTORIC SITE. Fanthorp Inn State Historic Site is on Fanthorp Street in central Anderson, Grimes County. The 1.4-acre site features the historic Fanthorp Inn, built by Henry Fanthorp in 1834 and extensively remodeled in 1850. The log structure, now clad with clapboard, is the only authentically restored stagecoach inn of the 1850s in the state. Among the inn's many important guests were Sam Houston, Anson Jones, and Robert E. Lee. The state acquired the site from Edward Buffington in 1977 for $100,000 and opened it to the public in the mid-1980s. Much of the surrounding area is part of the Anderson Historic District.
Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "FANTHORP INN STATE HISTORIC SITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/ghf05), accessed July 28, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.