BIG SPRING STATE RECREATION AREA
BIG SPRING STATE RECREATION AREA. Big Spring State Recreation Area is on Farm Road 700 and Big Spring Mountain on the southern edge of Big Spring in Howard County. The 344-acre park was once an Indian campground. The site was a city park until Big Spring turned it over to the State Parks Board in 1934. During the late 1930s the Civilian Conservation Corps added a number of facilities, including a stone dance pavilion. Among the major attractions is a large prairie dog town. Facilities include a scenic drive, a lookout point at the edge of the mesa, and tables for picnicking.
Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "BIG SPRING STATE RECREATION AREA," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkb06), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.