FORT GRIFFIN STATE HISTORIC SITE
FORT GRIFFIN STATE HISTORIC SITE. Fort Griffin State Historic Site was deeded to the state by Shackelford County in 1935. The site, which was officially transferred from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department to the Texas Historical Commission on January 1, 2008, is located just off U.S. Highway 283 fifteen miles north of Albany. It offers picnicking, overnight camping facilities, and fishing from the banks of the Clear Fork of the Brazos River, as well as nature beauty and displayed artifacts. In the 506-acre park the ruins of several buildings of old Fort Griffin, plus the restored post bakery and replicas of enlisted men's huts, are located on a bluff overlooking the townsite of Fort Griffin. The townsite is not in the park boundaries. The park is the original home of the official state longhorn cattle herd.
Ross A. Maxwell, Geologic and Historic Guide to the State Parks of Texas (Bureau of Economic Geology, University of Texas at Austin, 1970). George Oxford Miller, Texas Parks and Campgrounds: Central, South, and West Texas (Austin: Texas Monthly Press, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "FORT GRIFFIN STATE HISTORIC SITE," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkf08), accessed January 25, 2015. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Modified on February 5, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.