GOVERNOR HOGG SHRINE STATE HISTORICAL PARK
GOVERNOR HOGG SHRINE STATE HISTORICAL PARK. The Governor Hogg Shrine State Historical Park, on State Highway 37 just south of downtown Quitman in Wood County, is named for James Stephen Hogg, the first Texas native governor. The park comprises 26.7 acres, on which are two houses and a small museum. The larger of the two houses was the home of Hogg's wife's parents, and Hogg and his wife were married there in 1874. This house was originally located at another site; it was purchased by the governor's daughter, Ima Hogg, and moved to the park in 1969. The smaller of the two houses is a replica of the cottage where James and Sarah Ann Hogg spent their honeymoon. Also at the site is the Ima Hogg Museum, built in 1969, which serves as park headquarters and features displays on the history of Northeast Texas. The historical park was first opened in 1941 by the Wood County Old Settlers Association. In 1946 the group turned over seventeen acres to the state, and an additional 4.74 acres was given by Ima Hogg in 1970; three additional acres was later purchased for the park.
Ray Miller, Texas Parks (Houston: Cordovan, 1984).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Christopher Long, "GOVERNOR HOGG SHRINE STATE HISTORICAL PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkg03), accessed December 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.