DEWITT COUNTY (JUDICIAL)
DEWITT COUNTY (Judicial). DeWitt County was established for judicial and other purposes on February 2, 1842. It included the western half of what is now DeWitt County. The east boundary ran north and south through the site of present Cuero, and the southern boundary was Coleto Creek; Cuero was the county seat. The county was abolished by a Texas Supreme Court decision, Stockton v. Montgomery (1842), which declared judicial counties unconstitutional. Present DeWitt County was established in 1846.
James Wilmer Dallam, A Digest of the Laws of Texas (Baltimore: Toy, 1845). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seymour V. Connor, "DEWITT COUNTY (JUDICIAL)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcd51), accessed May 23, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.