DAWSON COUNTY (DEFUNCT)
DAWSON COUNTY (DEFUNCT). Another Dawson County, established by the Texas Legislature on February 1, 1858, was named for Nicholas Dawson and included the eastern portion of what is now Kinney County and the western portion of Uvalde County. The act was never expressly repealed, but the territory was obliterated by acts dated September 29 and October 5, 1866. The area included no part of present Dawson County, established in 1876.
R. L. Batts, "Defunct Counties of Texas," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 1 (October 1897). Hans Peter Nielsen Gammel, comp., Laws of Texas, 1822–1897 (10 vols., Austin: Gammel, 1898).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Seymour V. Connor, "DAWSON COUNTY (DEFUNCT)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hcd71), accessed May 24, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.