EDCOUCH, TEXAS. Edcouch is at the intersection of State Highway 107 and Farm Road 1015, eighteen miles northeast of McAllen in southeastern Hidalgo County. The townsite was developed in 1927 and named for Edward Couch, landowner and banker. A post office and railroad stop on the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway were established at Edgeworth in 1927. By 1931 the town was shipping citrus fruits, vegetables, and cotton, had a weekly newspaper named the Edcouch Enterprise, and reported a population of 914. Edcouch was incorporated in 1933, when it had thirty-five businesses. The town grew slowly from an estimated population of 1,758 in 1941 to 2,925 in 1958. By 1963 Edcouch had a school, two churches, an estimated population of 2,814, and forty-two businesses. In 1990 the population was 2,878 and in 2000 it was 3,342.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Alicia A. Garza, "EDCOUCH, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hge03), accessed September 18, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.