JONES CREEK, TX (BRAZORIA COUNTY)
JONES CREEK, TEXAS (Brazoria County). Jones Creek is on State Highway 36 and the Gulf Prairie twelve miles southwest of Angleton in southwestern Brazoria County. The community was settled in the 1820s by Anglo-American families, including several of the Old Three Hundred, who established large cotton plantations in the area. With the end of plantation life after the Civil War, growth of the community ceased, but by 1949 Jones Creek found new importance as one of several municipalities and towns making up the Brazosport industrial and port area. In 1956 Jones Creek reported a population of 2,851 and nine businesses, and by 1957 the community included Perry's Landing, Peach Point, Peach Crest, and Gulf Park, a residential community established in 1927 by Robert E. L. Stringfellow and P. George Maercky of Freeport Sulphur Company. Jones Creek was incorporated in 1970. Its population declined to 1,268 in 1972 and reached a high of 2,634 in 1982. A 1974 map showed the Austin School, two churches, several buildings, and numerous scattered dwellings at the townsite; Gulf Prairie Church and the Gulf Park settlement were nearby. In 1990 the population of Jones Creek was 2,160. The population dropped slightly to 2,130 by 2000.
Brazosport Facts, December 17, 1957, March 26, 1991. James A. Creighton, A Narrative History of Brazoria County (Angleton, Texas: Brazoria County Historical Commission, 1975).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "JONES CREEK, TX (BRAZORIA COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hgj03), accessed October 01, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.