LOMAX, TX (HARRIS COUNTY)
LOMAX, TEXAS (Harris County). Lomax was south of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad line and northwest of La Porte in southeastern Harris County. The town was named for R. A. Lomax of Illinois, who arrived in the area in 1895 and later donated land for a school. The Lomax community incorporated in 1952, became a city in 1966, and was annexed by La Porte in 1980. The town population, first recorded as 439 in 1961, rose to a high of 2,991 by the early 1980s.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "LOMAX, TX (HARRIS COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hgl10), accessed September 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.