WESTWORTH VILLAGE, TX
WESTWORTH VILLAGE, TEXAS. Westworth Village is on State Highway 183 four miles west of Fort Worth in western Tarrant County. In 1941 the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce deeded to the federal government 1,450 acres to construct a plant to build B-24 bombers and a landing field, which would become Carswell Air Force Baseqv. That year Westworth Village residents voted to incorporate their community, choosing an aldermanic form of government. The construction of the air base, which was activated by the army in 1942, became the catalyst for community development. Throughout the 1950s the number of residents at Westworth Village was 500. Beginning in the 1960s the population increased, reaching over 4,500 by 1970. Following the Vietnam war and a series of layoffs at General Dynamics, the population of Westworth Village decreased to 3,651 in the late 1980s. In 1990 it was 2,350. The population was 2,124 in 2000.
Janet L. Schmelzer, Where the West Begins: Fort Worth and Tarrant County (Northridge, California: Windsor, 1985).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "WESTWORTH VILLAGE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hgw07), accessed October 23, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.