Bookmark and Share
Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

HONEY GROVE, TX

HONEY GROVE, TEXAS. Honey Grove is on U.S. Highway 82 fifteen miles east of Bonham in east central Fannin County. The first Anglo-Americans who settled in the area arrived from Tennessee in 1842. Within a few years a community developed on a rise that provided residents a view of the surrounding countryside, timber on one side and prairie on the other. Near the site in a grove was an apiary from which the community received its name. In 1846 a post office branch opened to serve the growing community. A decade later the population of Honey Grove reached 300. Residents voted to incorporate in 1873. By the mid-1880s the tracks of the Texas and Pacific Railway had reached the community. The railroad established Honey Grove as a retail center and shipping point for area farmers. In 1890 it had a population of 3,000, 100 businesses, seven churches, two schools, two banks, and two weekly newspapers. By the 1890s a prosperous stone quarry was operating just outside the town. The population of Honey Grove in 1914 was 2,800. By the eve of World War I an ice and light plant and a third bank had opened in the city. Subsequently, the population steadily decreased. By the end of World War II Honey Grove had a population of 2,500 and seventy-four businesses. In 1988 it had a reported 1,861 residents and twenty-five businesses and was the second largest town in Fannin County. In 1990 the population was 1,681, and in 2000 it was 1,746.

BIBLIOGRAPHY: 

W. A. Carter, History of Fannin County, Texas (Bonham, Texas: Bonham News, 1885; rpt., Honey Grove, Texas: Fannin County Historical Society, 1975). Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977). Floy Crandall Hodge, A History of Fannin County (Hereford, Texas: Pioneer, 1966).

David Minor

Citation

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.

David Minor, "HONEY GROVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjh11), accessed August 21, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.