HULL, TEXAS. Hull is on Farm Road 834 just south of its northern junction with Farm Road 770, forty-three miles northwest of Beaumont in eastern Liberty County. It became a station on the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway and was named after W. F. Hull, a railroad official. The post office was established in 1908. The discovery of oil at the Hull oilfield in 1918 sparked rapid community development. The Doucette Lumber Company was established in 1919 and further diversified the local economy. Hull also served as a railroad shipping point for Daisetta, a town two miles south. The population of Hull, estimated between 1,000 and 1,200 from 1920 to the late 1940s, had increased to 1,800 by 1980, when the community had fourteen businesses. By 2000 the population was 1,800 with thirty-one businesses. Several newspapers, including the Progressive Outlook, the Liberty County News, the Liberty County Press, and the Hull-Daisetta News, served Hull and Daisetta during the 1930s and 1940s.
Beaumont Journal, February 23, 1935. Miriam Partlow, Liberty, Liberty County, and the Atascosito District (Austin: Pemberton, 1974).