MCNAIR, TEXAS. McNair, on Interstate Highway 10 and the Missouri Pacific line four miles north of Baytown in east central Harris County, began in the 1920s as a black community. The 1936 county highway map showed a church in the community, which was then on the Beaumont, Sour Lake and Western Railway. In 1954 the population of McNair was 1,313. In 1972 it was 2,039, and continued to be reported at that level through the early 1990s. McNair had become a residential suburb by 1960, when it was annexed by Baytown. The community appeared on highway maps in the 1980s as the site of six churches, the Harlem School, a railroad station, and a number of dwellings. In 2000 the population was 2,039.
Houston Metropolitan Research Center Files, Houston Public Library.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.Diana J. Kleiner, "MCNAIR, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjm11), accessed February 27, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.