RENO, TX (LAMAR COUNTY)
RENO, TEXAS (Lamar County). Reno, on U.S. Highway 82 adjacent to Paris in Lamar County, may have been a switching station on the Texas and Pacific Railway, which was built through the area in 1876. In 1886 the community had two schools, one for whites and one for blacks. The town at one time may have been named Davis, or the names Davis and Reno may have been used concurrently, since records from 1886–87 show a post office called Davis at Reno Switch, and records from 1890–91 still have a Davis post office, by then at Reno. Reno had a general store and a grocery store in 1891. Its post office was discontinued in 1907. By 1942 it had four businesses and a population of eighty, and by 1948 it still had two schools in operation. Reno incorporated in 1968, and by 1969 its population was 180. In 1990 Reno was in the North Lamar Independent School District and reported a population of 1,742. The population was 2,767 in 2000.