RENO, TX (PARKER COUNTY)
RENO, TEXAS (Parker County). Reno is on Farm Road 1542 near Fort Worth eighteen miles northeast of Weatherford in the northwestern corner of Parker County. Settlement began in the early 1880s near the banks of Walnut Creek. A post office was established in 1884. Originally Reno served area farmers as a school and church community. The population remained under 200 until the late 1960s, when the growth of Fort Worth transformed Reno into a bedroom community. In 1974 the population was 600; in the late 1980s it was 1,519. In 1990 Reno had 2,322 residents. In 1995 E. R. "Bird" Harris of Reno, who at the age of ninety-one held the oldest in-use barber's license in Texas, was thinking of getting the license renewed. His haircuts were all of one style and cost three dollars; Bird had been cutting A. C. Cross's hair for sixty-nine years. In 2000 the population was 2,441.
Dallas Morning News, June 14, 1995. Gustavus Adolphus Holland, History of Parker County and the Double Log Cabin (Weatherford, Texas: Herald, 1931; rpt. 1937). Kathleen E. and Clifton R. St. Clair, eds., Little Towns of Texas (Jacksonville, Texas: Jayroe Graphic Arts, 1982).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "RENO, TX (PARKER COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hjr07), accessed October 24, 2014. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.