BLUEGROVE, TEXAS. Bluegrove is on Farm Road 172 eleven miles south of Henrietta in central Clay County. Settlement of the community began in 1882, primarily through the efforts of E. A. Copp, L. B. Brown, and E. M. Childs. The community's name comes from its location near a grove of post oak trees that look blue from a distance. A. W. Flynn's general store at Bluegrove became a center for area farmers and ranchers. In 1895 postal service to the community began. The community's population grew slowly but steadily, reaching its peak in the 1920s, when Bluegrove had a reported 240 residents. After the 1940s, however, the population declined. From the mid-1950s through 2000 the population of Bluegrove was reported at 125. The JAC Electric Cooperative, headquartered at Bluegrove, serves Jack, Archer, and Clay counties.
Katherine Christian Douthitt, ed., Romance and Dim Trails (Dallas: Tardy, 1938). William Charles Taylor, A History of Clay County (Austin: Jenkins, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.David Minor, "BLUEGROVE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlb40), accessed September 22, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.