CLIFFSIDE, TEXAS. Cliffside, five miles northwest of Amarillo in southern Potter County, became a station on the Fort Worth and Denver City Railway in 1888. No community developed until 1905, when a rural school was established. Mrs. Frances E. Boyles opened a post office in her husband's general store in 1908. William H. Bush dedicated the townsite on August 5, 1915. W. J. Williams, a surveyor, platted ten full blocks, consisting of three north-south and six east-west streets. Because of its proximity to Amarillo the Cliffside post office was discontinued in 1917, and mail was routed through Amarillo. By 1980 Cliffside only had a few small red buildings beside the railroad track. From the 1960s through 2000 the population estimates were recorded at 206.
Della Tyler Key, In the Cattle Country: History of Potter County, 1887–1966 (Amarillo: Tyler-Berkley, 1961; 2d ed., (Wichita Falls: Nortex, 1972).
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.H. Allen Anderson, "CLIFFSIDE, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlc37), accessed December 09, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.