CUNNINGHAM, TEXAS. Cunningham is on Farm Road 196 near the North Sulphur River, twenty miles southeast of Paris in southeastern Lamar County. The town was named for Sam Cunningham, a landowner who encouraged settlement in the community. Its post office was established in 1912. By 1915 the population had risen to 350, and the town included two churches, a newspaper called the Inland Journal, three general stores, a printer, a sawmill, and a physician. The number of residents had decreased to 200 by the 1940s and continued to decline slowly. In the 1980s Cunningham had three churches, a school, a few businesses, and a population of 110, which remained at that level in 2000.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this article.John M. Santry, "CUNNINGHAM, TX," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hlc63), accessed October 20, 2014. Uploaded on June 12, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.